Regular price£16.00 inc VAT£13.33 ex VAT
What is a Bolster Pillow Used For?
12 Dec 2023
Bolster pillows have multiple uses that may greatly benefit your everyday life. From improving your sleep and relaxation to offering support during activities like yoga, a bolster pillow can be a versatile addition to your home. Its shape makes it ideal for lounging or serving as a prop for your legs or arms, helping to relieve the strain on your joints and lower back.
Using a bolster pillow not only supports your back, neck, and legs, but it can also enhance your posture while sleeping, alleviate stress, and provide relief from various discomforts. For instance, sliding a smaller bolster under your back or legs can offer lumbar support, contributing to better overall sleep quality. In addition, bolster pillows can reduce neck pain and stiffness by providing head and neck support in different sleeping positions.
Furthermore, bolster pillows can offer physiological benefits such as decreased anxiety, pain relief, and strengthened immunity. By incorporating a bolster pillow into your daily routine, you can experience increased comfort and well-being both mentally and physically. So, take the opportunity to explore the many ways a bolster pillow can make a positive difference in your life.
Defining a Bolster Pillow
A bolster pillow is a long and firm, sometime cylinder-shaped cushion that can be used for various purposes, such as improving sleep, relaxation or providing support during yoga sessions. Its unique design makes it versatile and beneficial for different situations.
To familiarise yourself with the shape and size of a bolster pillow, imagine a pillow that's about the length of a standard head pillow but cylindrical or thicker in form than stand pillows. The primary purpose of a bolster pillow is to provide support and comfort to specific body parts. Over time, people have come to discover its usefulness as a sleep aid by propping up their limbs on it.
When using a bolster pillow, you may find that it:
- Provides lumbar support when placed under your lower back or knees while sleeping
- Enhances blood circulation throughout your legs
- Offers relief from an upset stomach by helping to alleviate bloating and gas when placed under your right arm and leg while lying on your left side
- Can be used as a cushion when sitting on the floor
It's essential to note that bolster pillows are not restricted to these uses and can be very versatile depending on your needs. The combination of support and comfort provided by this specifically-shaped, cylindrical pillow can create a noticeable difference in your daily routine and overall well-being.
Enhancing Spinal Alignment
A bolster pillow can significantly improve your spinal alignment while resting or sleeping. By placing it under your knees, it can elevate your legs, promote better circulation, and naturally maintain the natural curve of your spine. This helps to reduce the strain on your lower back and hips, promoting overall spinal health. If you're a side sleeper, placing a bolster between your legs can also help to maintain proper alignment of your spine, hips, and knees, providing comfort and support throughout the night.
Facilitating Better Sleep Posture
Using a bolster pillow can encourage better sleep posture, particularly for those who tend to toss and turn throughout the night. Its cylindrical design makes it an ideal support for various sleeping positions. For instance, back sleepers can benefit from placing the bolster under their knees to relieve lower back pressure. Meanwhile, side sleepers can use the bolster to support their upper leg and ensure their hips remain in a neutral position, preventing awkward sleeping angles that can lead to discomfort and poor sleep quality.
Reducing Muscular Tension
Incorporating a bolster pillow into your bedtime routine can help reduce muscular tension, especially if you suffer from muscle stiffness or sore joints. Using the bolster to support targeted areas, such as your neck, lower back, or legs, can alleviate pressure on these sensitive spots. Whether you're relaxing, reading, or watching TV, resting your limbs against the bolster can promote relaxation and release built-up tension. In addition, utilising a bolster pillow during yoga or stretching exercises can also aid in relaxing tight muscles and improving flexibility.
Aiding in Physiotherapy
Bolster pillows can play a crucial role in physiotherapy. Their cylindrical design makes them ideal for lounging or as a prop for your arms and legs. For instance, slipping a bolster pillow under your limbs may help relieve stress on shoulder joints, hip joints, and your lower back.
By elevating specific body parts during rest and physiotherapy sessions, you provide additional support to your affected joints, muscles, and ligaments. This not only promotes healing but also ensures that you maintain proper alignment and posture while resting or engaging in rehabilitation exercises.
Support for Pregnancy
During pregnancy, finding a comfortable sleeping position can be challenging. A bolster pillow can be of great benefit, particularly when placed between your knees as you sleep on your side. It helps align your hips, avoiding unnecessary strain on the joints, and promoting better blood circulation.
Moreover, using a bolster pillow for back support while sitting can provide pregnant women with much-needed relief from the strain on the lower back, which is common as the baby grows.
Accentuating Home Decor
Bolster pillows can be a fantastic addition to your home decor, providing an elegant and stylish touch. Their cylindrical shape adds variety to the usual arrangements of square and rectangular cushions. You can place a bolster pillow on your bed, sofa, or even on chairs to enhance the overall appearance of your living space. It's a simple yet effective way to refresh your interior design and showcase your sense of style.
Versatility in Design
One of the best aspects of bolster pillows is their versatility in design. They come in various sizes, colours, patterns, and materials, allowing you to mix and match them with your existing decor. Here are some ideas to maximise the decorative potential of bolster pillows:
- Mix and match: Combine different colours, patterns, and fabrics to create a vibrant and visually appealing display on your bed or sofa.
- Layering: Place a bolster pillow in front of your regular pillows to give depth and texture to your arrangement.
- Thematic coordination: Choose bolster pillows with designs that complement the theme of your room, such as floral patterns for a botanical-inspired space or geometric designs for a modern aesthetic.
In summary, bolster pillows are not only useful for providing support and comfort but also serve as versatile decorative elements that can elevate your home's overall appearance. Be creative with your choices and enjoy the aesthetic versatility that bolster pillows bring to your living space.
Materials and Durability
When choosing a bolster pillow, it's essential to consider the materials used and the pillow's durability. Common materials for bolster pillows are memory foam, polyester fibres, and organic fabrics like cotton or bamboo. Each material offers unique properties:
- Memory foam adapts to your body shape, providing tailored support and pressure relief.
- Polyester fibres are lightweight and can be found in various densities, allowing for customisable firmness.
- Organic fabrics like cotton or bamboo are breathable and hypoallergenic, making them ideal for sensitive skin or those with allergies.
To ensure your bolster pillow lasts, it's crucial to invest in a high-quality product with dense, supportive fillings and a durable outer cover.
Maintenance and Care
Proper maintenance and care can prolong the life of your bolster pillow and keep it hygienic. Here are some essential tips:
- Washing: Check the care label of your bolster pillow for washing instructions. Some pillows can be machine washed, while others may require spot cleaning or airing. In general, washing once every three to six months is recommended.
- Drying: Air-drying or line-drying your bolster pillow is best. Avoid using a tumble dryer as it can damage the pillow's structure and fill.
- Protection: Utilise a removable bolster pillow cover that can be easily washed, extending your pillow's lifespan and ensuring cleanliness.
- Storage: When not in use, store your bolster pillow in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to prevent colour fading or material degradation.
By considering these practical aspects — materials, durability, maintenance, and care — you can ensure your bolster pillow provides the desired support and comfort for years to come.